Weekly Update 3: Design Changes and Goals

This week, my focus on Mystery Mart was asset-implementation and starting to add a level manager to the player in the script.

What changes were made to the design and why?

Upon searching for asset packs that would fit my environment, I came across a new package and license through Humble Bundle. Specifically the "POLYGON Game Dev bundle" -- Simple Town by Synty Studios. Furthermore, I began adding more items to fill up the environment, including surrounding buildings, street lamps, self-checkout monitor.

I also implemented a script to collect coins and count the amount collected. Consequently to make this space more realistic, I removed the terrain for the suburban environment. Lastly, I removed mesh from the boundary, and added a logo mesh to the grocery store's structure to make it seem more like a supermarket. Ultimately, my main goal was to build upon the outer environment so that the level and setting can make more sense (Have the player drive into the empty car parking space, and then enter the store).

One of my largest struggles with these design changes was the act of lining-up the road assets. Each road segment is only half of the road and a line. Another challenge was having to be creative in order use assets for the better. For example, I included satellite dish assets with a box and meshed image over it so resemble a Self-Checkout Machine.





Explain what you want the end product to be - what features are you still adding/changing?

After building for the first time, I became aware that there were many bugs with linking Tags and collectible objects' Mesh Colliders. This will require re-linking the objects and re-exporting the build.

In the future, I will need to add more assets to the inside of the supermarket so it's not as "whiteboxed" as it stands currently, only permit the player to enter the store when the car is parked, and only allow the player to leave the store after the final collectibles have been claimed-- assuming the player has done so prior to the timer running out.

Ultimately, the goal is to have a cubed-environment level where the player can feel that they are coming to the grocery story / supermarket to complete a shopping list under a time limit, without getting help from a store clerk.



Feedback from another playtester:

"Make it more clear that the car is going to be parked and that they need to enter the grocery store. I was uncertain what the goal was besides collecting since there is no winning condition yet."


These concerns should be addressed as I add an auto-enabled/auto-disabled car body and timer UI to the player's display.

Comments