Update and New Playtest, Assets-based

Since the last update, I have added many more assets into my game. These 3D Objects came from two great asset bundles. The first being the one I stumbled upon on Humble Bundle, and the second being from the Asset Store.

  • First Asset Pack used: Humble Best of POLYGON Game Dev Bundle -- Synty Studios's Polygon Prototype and Simple Town Asset Packs.
  • Second Asset Pack used: OneCoinGames's Food & Grocery Items - Low Poly


As you can see, the game has been given a bit more life due to this update.

Some other changes I made:

  1. Outside "Gate" (the border enclosing the world)'s mesh has been turned off.
  2. Main player has been moved so that they are facing the direction of the store entrance.
  3. Props such as streetlamps and trash bins have been added to the exterior, and a Logo was used to cover up one of the asset's unnecessary signs.
  4. The player has been given a cart and hands that follow them wherever they turn in the store.
  5. Proper lighting units have been added to the building interior.
  6. Audio Assets such as Parking Lot Noises and Grocery Store noises (accumulated from FreeSound.org Creative Commons 0 Library.
New Screenshots:




I gave this level another round of playtesting this week, which seemed to move things in the positive direction in terms of progress. The only thing (mentioned above) is that some players were still left to wander and leave the building after entering.

Comments From New Playtesters:

  1. "Ooh I have to collect mystery boxes."
  2. "Besides the counter, how do I know if I collected the item?"
  3. "I don't think that the cart should go through ground." / "I would add a box collides to the shopping carts."
  4. "How many are there to collect?"
  5. "This looks good. What else can I do in the world?"
  6. "I would like to drive if I can, and travel to the decoration buildings."

Positive Comments:
  • "I like that you can jump with the cart."
  • "I like all your cars."
Things Left to Change:

  • Add a box collider to the cart as well as the player body. That was the cart cannot bump into things it's not meant to.
  • Timer that activates when the player enters the building
    • Text will need to appear on the screen, and the script will need to utilize Time.deltaTime
  • See through exit and entrance boundaries.
    • To do this, I will need to have a box collider trigger on the entrance door's outside only. When the player is no longer in the bounds of the trigger, the door should animate to close. No asset is needed since glass doors can just be cubes with no/little mesh.
    • Similarly, the exit door will be the same way. Collider Trigger on the inside, which has a script to check if all 6 items have been collected (door unlocked).
  • Add a Particle/Sound effect when objects are collected.
  • Add a number of total items, so players know how many to collect.
Video of Gameplay:

Comments